Planning meals is something that does not exist in a home; at least not as structured or written down as it would want to be.
Meal planning is basically planning ahead your meal (or meals) for the week or days to come. It does not only save you time but also brings structure to your household. It also helps with budgeting and shopping because then you will start to know what staple foods to buy on a regular basis.
You can involve the entire family in this by letting them decide on a meal for the day and in this also make sure that at least once a week their favorite meal is on the menu.
Planning meals is not a diet. It’s just you bringing structure to your eating pattern for a better lifestyle.
Above is a idea of how a weekly meal plan looks like. Feel free to adopt or change it as you see fit for you.
And then there is also a few guidelines to make meal planning a healthy one
- Eat at least 3 servings of fruit and vegetables daily
- Restrict the intake of processed meat ( vienna’s, polony, sausages, patties, russians) to 2 times per week.
- Make meals with beans and lentils a regular thing
- Limit the intake of red meat
- Starches should form part of your main meals, but should not be the meal.
- Avoid making sugary foods your snacks
I personally do not have my meal planning as organized as I would want to but hey, we all here to learn and try new things right 🙂